based on Olive Garden’s
adapted from several recipe website posts,
my version has less meat and more veggies than most
½ pound spicy Italian sausage – crumbled
¼ pound bacon – chopped
4 cups water
2 cans (14 oz) chicken broth
1 large bunch kale
4 large russet potatoes – cut in ½” cubes
2-4 garlic cloves – minced (I usually use 4)
1 medium onion – peeled, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 cup half & half (I use non-fat)
salt and pepper – to taste (I don’t usually add any – the spicy sausage adds enough)
- In a pot over medium-high heat, brown sausage, breaking into small pieces; drain, set aside.
- Brown bacon; drain, set aside.
- Strip kale leaves from stems. Slice stems into ¼” pieces (like celery). Chop leaves coarsely.
- Add water, broth, kale stems, potatoes, garlic, and onion to pot; simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender.
- Add sausage and chopped kale leaves; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add half & half; season with salt and pepper if desired; heat through.
- Sprinkle with bacon.
- You can discard the kale stems if you prefer, but with a little extra cooking they taste great & I hate to waste them.
- You can substitute Swiss chard, beet greens or spinach for the kale. Spinach will only need a few minutes cooking.