adapted from Spice Goddess / Bal Arneson
1 Tbsp garam masala
1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 cup plain yogurt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Combine the garam masala, sugar, garlic, cardamom, cayenne, salt, yogurt, and tomato paste in a large bowl and mix well; set aside about 1/3 of the marinade for a dipping sauce. Add the chicken and coat well. Cover the bowl and let marinate in the fridge for 45 minutes to 4 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat a grill to medium-high. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and place on the hot grill. Cook until the chicken is done and juices run clear.
- Garam masala varies quite a bit. the one I had was rather sweet, and I remember Bal’s mix having a lot of cumin, so I added cumin to the recipe.
- The recipe was supposed to include 2 Tbsp dried fenugreek leaves and 2 Tbsp tomato paste. I did not use the fenugreek leaves because I did not have them and I forgot to add the tomato paste because I was sleepy when I made it : ]
I’ll have to try this recipe again with these flavors added.
- Bal used legs & thighs, but I prefer white meat so I used breasts.