adapted from Gourmet Magazine March 2005
2/3 c mayonnaise
4 Tbsp capers, chopped finely
1-4 tsp wasabi paste, to taste
1 1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise
3/4 tsp Chinese hot mustard
2 Tbsp green onions, minced
1 tsp ginger, minced
1 lb crab meat
1 1/2 c panko
oil for frying
- Mix 2/3 c mayo, capers & wasabi. Chill until ready to use.
- Whisk eggs, 1 1/2 Tbsp mayo, & mustard.
- Stir in onions, ginger & 3/4 cup panko.
- Stir in crab meat.
- Divide into 8 parts & shape each into 1″ thick patty. Coat with remaining panko.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour or freezer for 15 minutes.
- Fry in 3/4″ deep hot oil until golden brown, turning once. Drain & serve with sauce.
- The original recipe included 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped – I omit this. You can add them if you like. They also used leeks instead of green onions.
- Trader Joe’s has a great canned crabmeat in the deli section – good price & nice chunks of meat.