from my husband’s great aunt, Louise Cooper Purinton
5 cups chopped unpeeled zucchini (2-3 large)
2 cups chopped onion (about 2 med)
1/2 red bell pepper *
1 1/2 Tbsp salt
1 1/8 cups vinegar
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp mustard seed
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
1 Tbsp celery seed
1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Grind vegetables to pickle relish consistency. Add salt. Put in large bowl & cover with water. Let stand overnight.
- Drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain well.
- Place in large pot. Add remaining ingredients. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Pack into jars & seal. Process for 5-10 minutes in boiling water bath.
- Makes about 4 pints.
- substitute carrot for bell pepper – it’s mostly there for the color
- substitute cucumber or other veggies for zucchini (total 5 cups veggies)
- substitute apple cider vinegar for white vinegar
- substitute garam masala for turmeric (will be sweeter & a little spicier)
- substitute saffron or annatto (achiote) for turmeric if you only want the color