This is adapted from a recipe that Judy Callaway, a co-worker at UC Davis, brought to a potluck. Everybody loved it so much that she kindly shared her recipe. This makes a lot – I recommend a half recipe for singles or those who do not like leftovers.
10 medium red potatoes, unpeeled, chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 cans (7 oz) chopped clams, undrained
1/2 cup butter
16 oz lowfat cream cheese
1 quart fat-free half & half
salt and pepper to taste
- Place potatoes and onions in large pot. Cover with water. Boil until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Heat through.
- Judy also added 1/2 lb bacon, chopped & cooked until crisp, but I usually don’t do this.
- You can thicken the soup with cornstarch if desired – I don’t think this is needed.
- Marissa Davis Hefner’s variation: substitute 2 cups chopped ham for clams, add 2 cups frozen corn & chopped green chile to taste (we use about 1/2 cup).