from Marissa Davis Hefner
1 avocado, mashed
1/2 cup ranch dressing
2 chicken breast halves, chopped
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp taco seasoning (or more to taste)
2 Tbsp minced green onions
1 can corn
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2 Tbsp diced canned jalapeno peppers (optional)
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1 pkg egg roll wrappers
oil for frying
- Combine avocado & ranch dressing. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, sprinkle with taco seasoning, and cook until done.
- Add salt, green onion, jalapeno, corn, cilantro, beans and spinach. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in cheese. Set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Set egg roll wrapper in front of you, with the corner pointing towards you. Spoon about 2 Tbsp filling onto the center of each egg roll wrapper. Fold bottom corner up, then each side. Use your finger or pastry brush to lightly dab water onto the top corner, then finish rolling up.
- Preheat 4-6 cups of oil to 375 degrees.
- Deep fry the egg rolls in the hot oil for 3-5 minutes (or until golden brown) and remove to paper towels or a rack to drain for about 2 minutes.
- Serve with avocado sauce.
- This recipe is similar to Chili’s egg rolls, which are a family favorite. I prefer egg roll wrappers, but feel free to use flour tortillas instead; just remember to increase the frying time.
- Filling is also good for enchiladas or an enchilada casserole, layered with corn tortillas and green enchilada sauce.