Gold Medal “Cookies From the Heart”
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup raspberry jam
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp water
- Mix butter, sugars, egg & vanilla.
- Stir in flour & baking powder.
- Cover & refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each into a 8″ x 2″ rectangle 1/8″ thick – you can roll out smaller pieces if you like – they are easier to handle.
- Place on cookie sheet & spoon 1 tsp jam in a line down the center of the dough. The jam will spread in the oven, so don’t make it too wide.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until light brown; cool slightly.
- Drizzle with Vanilla Glaze – mix powdered sugar, vanilla and water until smooth & thin enough to drizzle. Add more water if needed.
- Cut diagonally into 1″ strips (a pizza cutter works well for this).
- You can substitute another jam for the raspberry – I have used blackberry, marionberry & mixed berry. I think I will try orange marmalade next.
- Omit the jam and glaze for a delicious sugar cookie.