adapted from Spice Goddess – Bal Arneson
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp minced ginger
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup dried curry leaves, crushed
1 Tbsp garam masala
1 tsp mustard seeds, crushed
1/2 tsp cardamom seeds, crushed
1 pound ground beef
1 pinch salt, to taste
1 cup frozen peas
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add ginger and onions and cook until softened and beginning to turn golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add curry leaves, garam masala, mustard seeds and cardamom seeds, and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add the ground beef, sprinkle with salt and stir to break up any chunks. Continue to cook until the beef is cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in peas and cook until they turn bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with flat bread or naan.
- I prefer the spice seeds to be crushed to spread the flavor thru the dish a little more. If you prefer, you can leave them whole as Bal Arneson does.
- The flavor may vary a little depending on the garam masala mix being used.