recipe created by Dorian Lara
Dorian brought this yummy dish to one of our potlucks. It is one of the best that I have ever tasted – I think I had 2 servings.
2 large eggplants
lots of salt
1 Tbsp milk
2 cups dry bread crumbs
1 Tbsp dry oregano
1 Tbsp dry thyme
7 cups Dorian’s Marinara Sauce
mozzarella cheese, sliced
Parmesan, freshly grated
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2″ thick rounds.
- Lay them on a cookie sheet (or other flat surface) that already has a layer of salt on the bottom. Cover the top of the slices with more salt. Let sit for 1 hour.
- After one hour, thoroughly rinse the eggplant in cool running water and pat dry.
- To bread the eggplant, set up a station using three different flat bowls leading up to the cookie sheet.
- eggs beaten with milk
- breadcrumbs, oregano, thyme, and pepper (to taste)
- Dredge both sides of the eggplant slices in flour. Shake off any excess flour.
- Dip in egg mixture.
- Press into bread crumb mixture – really pack on the bread crumbs.
- Place breaded slices on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.
- Pour some of the marinara sauce into the bottom of a 13×9 dish.
- Place half of the breaded, cooked eggplant on the sauce.
- Spoon a small amount of sauce over the eggplant.
- Place a thin slice of mozzarella over each piece. Sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Spoon more sauce on top.
- Repeat layers.
- Pour any remaining sauce over the top.
- Bake, covered, at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Remove the cover and continue to bake for another 30 minutes.
- The salt will weep the bitter juices from the eggplant. Dorian recommends using kosher salt.
- Dorian designed the marinara recipe for this dish so it should make the proper amount of sauce.