extra virgin olive oil
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
1/4 carrot, diced
1/3 large head garlic, peeled and diced
1 – 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 – 28 can diced tomatoes
1 – 6 oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
10 “twigs” fresh thyme, strip leaves from stems
- Heat olive oil in large stock pot.
- Add onion and carrot and saute until onion is just barely caramelized.
- Reduce heat and add garlic (reserving 2 cloves). Cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add all tomato products. Mix thoroughly.
- Add dried herbs and pepper to taste.
- Add fresh basil and thyme leaves (discard the stems).
- Simmer for 1-2 hours partially covered. If it looks a little runny, remove lid and cook until thickened.
- Before serving, add the two reserved cloves of garlic – just smash and toss them in.
- Yes, that’s 1/3 of a head of garlic, not 1/3 of a clove.
- You can use an “Italian seasoning” blend to replace the dried herbs if you prefer.
- You can make a double or triple batch and freeze the extra.