recipe courtesy of Judy Trimarchi
2 lb ground beef
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 Tbsp chili powder
2 – 28oz. cans whole stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 – 16oz. cans light red kidney beans
salt, to taste
- Put a tea kettle of water on to heat up.
- Brown ground beef until fairly brown, keeping pieces fairly large.
- Towards end of browning process, throw in onions. When onions are soft, add garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chili powder. Reduce heat to low.
- Open tomatoes and drain juice into pot. If using whole tomatoes, use kitchen shears to cut into large, bite-sized chunks and drop into pot.
- Add beans.
- Add hot water until you have a thick or thin soup, whichever you like.
- Salt to taste.
- Bring to low boil. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with saltines or cornbread.
- Keeps well in fridge or freezer.
- Substitute canned or fresh diced tomatoes.
- Substitute pinto or white beans.