adapted from Joy of Baking
These are the most tender cookies of this type that I have ever tasted. I switched to dark brown sugar because I like the deeper flavor it adds. I prefer creamy peanut butter because they have such a wonderful texture. I also prefer not to roll them in sugar which gives them a crunchy coating.
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
48 Hershey’s Kisses, unwrapped
- Beat butter until creamy and smooth.
- Add peanut butter and sugars and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat to combine.
- Beat in milk.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add to the peanut butter mixture and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Cover and chill for about an hour, or until firm enough to roll into balls.
- Preheat oven to 375 and place rack in the center of the oven.
- Roll the batter into 1″ balls.
- Place on baking sheet covered with parchment paper or silicone mat, spacing about 2″ apart.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned.
- Immediately after removing from the oven, place a Kiss into the center of each cookie, pressing down gently until the cookie just starts to crack.
- Remove from baking sheet and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
- You can substitute any type of chocolate candy for the Kisses – Dove Promises, mini peanut butter cups…