1 small onion, chopped (~ 1/2 cup)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 oz green chile, chopped
2 Tbsp oil
15 oz can diced tomatoes
10 oz can chicken, undrained
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup beef broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder (not ground chile)
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
4 corn tortillas
1 cup grated cheddar or jack cheese
- Saute onion & garlic in oil until soft.
- Add chicken, chile, tomatoes, broths, spices & Worcestershire. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Cut tortillas in quarters, then into 1/2″ strips. Add 3/4 of strips to soup & simmer 10 minutes. Fry remaining strips until crisp.
- Serve topped with crisp tortilla strips & cheese.
- Makes 4 servings.
- I use “Petite Diced” tomatoes that are about 1/2″ cubes – the regular canned “diced” tomatoes are what I would call coarsely chopped – about 3/4″ cubes.
- You can substitute leftover chicken, shredded.
- If you don’t have beef broth, you can substitute chicken broth, but the flavor will not be as rich.