Adapted from Our Simple Life. I omitted the wine (didn’t want to use my moscato), substituted brown sugar for the honey and doubled the cinnamon.
6 cups figs with stems removed
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
- Add everything to a crockpot and cook on high for 2 hours. Using a spoon or potato masher, mash figs until all whole figs are broken down.
- Crack the lid to let the steam escape and turn crockpot down to low and continue to cook for 6 – 8 hours, until desired consistency.
- For a smoother consistency, mix with immersion blender.
- Fill hot jars with hot fig butter, seal and process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- You should be able to heap the butter on a spoon with no liquid seeping out.
- You can decrease the cinnamon if you prefer, but this amount does not give an overly strong cinnamon flavor.