adapted by my mother, Sherry Salvage ReVeal Bradley, from Nestle’s Toll House
2 cups shortening
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp water, as needed
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375.
- Combine shortening, sugars, eggs and vanilla. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and salt. Add water if mixture is dry.
- Stir in walnuts & chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned at the edges and still soft in the center.
- Makes 4-5 dozen 3 inch cookies.
- Cook one batch – if the cookies do not spread out, you need to add more water. Add a few teaspoons at a time.
- We used to use semisweet chocolate chips, but recently we switched to Hershey’s Special Dark chocolate chips which are slightly darker than semisweet.