Betty Crocker’s Boys and Girls Cook Book
This is the cookbook that I was given when I was 10 years old and was given permission to cook by myself.
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt
- Cream shortening, sugar, egg & molasses.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients slowly to sugar mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375.
- Roll teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. Dip in sugar. Place, sugar side up, 3″ apart on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set, but not hard.
- Makes 4 dozen 2″ cookies.