Lyn Ortega, Albuquerque, New Mexico (1980)
This is the best pâté I have ever eaten.
1 med onion, chopped
1/4 lb butter
1 lb chicken livers
1 1/2 med apples, peeled
1/4 cup sherry
1/4 cup Madeira
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1/4 lb butter, melted
- Saute onion in butter until soft.
- Stir in livers, apples and wines; cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Put liver mixture and eggs in food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Pack mixture into small crocks. Pour melted butter over pate.
- Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Refrigerate or freeze for longer storage.
- Makes about 4 cups.
- Serve with lemon wedges and thinly sliced onion on toast.