recipe from Sara Garretson – a friend of my mother’s in New Mexico
1 1/2 lb flank steak
juice & zest of one lemon
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp brown sugar
- Trim fat and membrane from steak. Place in a shallow, non-metallic pan.
- Combine remaining ingredients, except lemon wedges, and pour over steak.
- Marinade for 1 hour, turning occasionally.
- Drain. Heat remaining marinade to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Grill steak over coals for 7 minutes on each side, basting with marinade.
- Slice very thinly, diagonally & across the grain.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- This grilling time will produce a medium rare to medium steak.