McCall’s Great American Recipe Card Collection 1973
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup diced celery
1 lb ground beef
1 can (6 oz) mushrooms, drained
1 cup sherry
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 can (17 oz) diced tomatoes
salt to taste
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp dried basil
8 oz small shell pasta
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach
1 cup sharp Cheddar, grated
1/2 cup bread crumbs
- In hot oil in large skillet, saute onion, garlic, carrot, and celery until onion is golden – about 5 minutes.
- Add beef; cook, stirring, until browned.
- Add mushrooms, sherry, tomato paste, tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil: simmer, uncovered 1 1/2 hours.
- If desired, cool, cover, and refrigerate until needed.
- About 45 minutes before serving time, preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook shells and spinach as package labels direct. Drain well.
- Reheat sauce if needed. Add shells and spinach.
- Turn into 3-quart casserole.
- Top with bread crumbs and Cheddar.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until bubbly and browned.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
- Makes 8 servings.