These are a cookie that we make every year at Christmas time for as long as I can remember. It is similar to many of the “tea cake” cookies, but I’m not sure where my mother got the recipe.
Makes 36 cookies
1 cup butter
green food coloring
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup nuts, ground or chopped very finely
- Preheat oven to 325℉.
- Beat butter until fluffy.
- Add food coloring.
- Mix in remaining ingredients until well combined. The dough will be a little dry.
- Roll in 1/2 – 3/4″ balls (they will expand when baked). Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom.
- Remove from pan and roll in powdered sugar while hot.
- You can omit the food coloring if you like, or use a different color, but we always color them green.
- We usually use walnuts or pecans, but you can use any nuts you like.