This is my Dad, Steve ReVeal’s, recipe. I’m sure that he got the original recipe from a friend, but I don’t know who it was. My father is a very good cook – his specialties are chili, pizza & Chinese food.
Makes about 3 quarts
2 lb ground beef
3 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped *
2 – 15 oz cans tomato sauce
1 bay leaf
2 – 15 oz cans kidney beans or pinto beans, undrained *
- Brown ground beef. Drain off fat.
- Sprinkle chili powder, salt & sugar over beef. Mix well
- Add onion, bell pepper. Cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, bay leaf & beans. Cover & simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
- I do not add the bell pepper.
- My dad always used kidney beans, but my husband doesn’t like them so we use pinto beans.