Adapted from The Ground Beef Cookbook by Joanne Waring Lindeman. I reduced the amount of meat and changed the seasoning.
1 pound ground beef
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup potatoes*, chopped
1 cup carrots, sliced
½ cup celery, chopped
1 cup cabbage, shredded
2 – 15 oz cans diced tomatoes*, undrained
1 ½ cups water
1 cup rice*
1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp salt, or to taste
¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 ½ cups cheddar cheese*, grated
- Saute beef and onion in a hot large pot until browned. Drain fat.
- Add veggies and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add remaining ingredients except cheese. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until rice and veggies are tender.
- Serve topped with cheese.
- The potatoes and rice are not cooked before adding them to the pot.
- I prefer “petite diced” tomatoes which are cut into appx ½” pieces. You could also use fresh or frozen tomatoes.
- Parmesan cheese is also very good on this soup.