adapted from Epicurean.com
I wanted to duplicate the sweet & sour flavor that we love when squeezing lime juice over fresh Fuyu persimmons, so I changed the lemon juice to lime juice and added the zest from the limes to boost the flavor.
8 ripe Fuyu persimmons
1/4 c lime juice (2-3 limes)
2 Tbsp lime zest
1.75 oz pkg (6 Tbsp) powdered pectin
6 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon butter
- Remove & discard stems from persimmons. If persimmons are firm, peel with a knife. For soft fruit, cut in half and scoop out pulp. Discard any seeds and skin.
- Measure 4 cups pulp into deep saucepan.
- Add lime juice, zest, pectin and butter. Mix well.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil without stirring for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat & skim off foam.
- Spoon into hot sterilized jars & seal.
- The butter helps keep the jam from foaming. If you prefer to omit it, you will have more foam to skim off.
- Do not discard the foam – use it just like any other jam. It’s not as pretty, but it still tastes good.