This recipe is based on Judy Joo’s Korean Food Made Simple on Cooking Channel. The recipe was not posted on the network website, so my daughter, Alycia, & I estimated the ingredient amounts while re-watching the episode – we think they turned out great! These burgers are tender and wonderfully seasoned.
1/4 lb pancetta or bacon
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp grated ginger
1 lb ground beef
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 Tbsp sesame oil
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
2-3 tsp gochugaru (Korean chile flake)
1 Tbsp gochujang (Korean fermented chile paste)
1 Tbsp doenjang (Korean fermented soybean paste)
1/4 cup carbonated water
- Combine pancetta or bacon, onion, garlic & ginger in a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Place in a bowl & add remaining ingredients.
- Mix gently with hands until thoroughly mixed.
- Form into patties and grill.
- Judy serves this with Korean Ketchup (1/4 cup ketchup mixed with 1 Tbsp gochujang) and Asian Mayo (Korean mayo thinned with kimchi juice). I have not tried the mayo yet, but the Korean Ketchup is my new favorite burger topping!
- If you haven’t used gochugaru or gochujang before, this may seem like a lot of chile, but it is not a very spicy chile. You can reduce the amount if you like.
- We like to make these as sliders – it makes about 10. Hawaiian rolls make delicious buns for these.