recipe courtesy of Mary Kay Korn
Mary Kay is the mother of my daughter Alycia’s friend and kindly shared her recipe when Alycia fell in love with these tarts.
3/4 lb butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup sugar
- Cream butter & pwd sugar. Add vanilla and blend.
- Sift flour, butter and sugar, add to butter mixture. Stir to combine.
- Cover dough in wax paper, chill 4-6 hours.
- Press into tart pan. Bake at 325 until golden brown – about 27-30 minutes in a silicone pan.
Lemon Butter Filling
finely grated zest of 7 lemons
1 cup granulated sugar
9 extra large eggs
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp, cut into 6 pieces
- In a food processor, combine lemon zest with 1/4 cup sugar. Mix for several minutes, until fine and moist.
- Combine eggs, remaining sugar and zest mixture in a medium bowl. Whisk until well blended, then stir in lemon juice.
- Cook in a double boiler, stirring frequently until mixture thickens to lightly coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in butter one piece at a time, mixing until melted and smooth.
- Immediately pour into tart shell and set aside. Filling will set as it cools.
- Cool completely before serving.
- Just before serving, dust the edges of the tart with pwd sugar.
- Makes two 9″ Tarts, 1 1/2″ deep. You can also make individual tarts.
- The amount of juice needed is about what you’d get from 7 lemons…convenient.