This is a recipe that my mother had as long as I can remember, but I don’t know where she got it. It is very similar to the Basic Green Chile Sauce on the Focus New Mexico site. The original recipe was cooked in melted shortening, but I use olive oil for everything now, so I’m going to update the recipe.
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup chopped green chile (roasted, peeled & seeded)
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes (fresh or 15 oz can)
salt to taste
- Heat oil and saute the onion a few minutes, until softened.
- Add garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- Stir in the flour, cook two minutes.
- Slowly add the stock, stirring constantly.
- Add the chile & tomatoes. Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water or stock if sauce gets too thick.