This recipe is adapted from how my mother used to make it. The measurements are not exact because a lot depends on how thick you want the stuffing to be and how much seasoning you like.
1 lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
8 oz can tomato sauce
- Brown hamburger and onion.
- Add tomato sauce.
- Crumble in saltines until stuffing holds together.
- Season to taste with basil, pepper & salt.
- Stuff into parboiled or roasted zucchini (split & seeded) or par-roasted bell pepper halves. Top with cheese.
- Bake at 350 F for about 20-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese it melted.
- Precooking the zucchini or bell peppers makes sure the vegetables are done when the stuffing is. Otherwise they will still be hard while your stuffing is getting burned.