I found this recipe and Creamy Onion Frankfurters in a magazine in the late 1970s, but neither recipe says where I got them.
2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
¼ tsp dried basil
¼ tsp dried sage
¼ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp dried rosemary
¼ tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp dried marjoram
3 large frankfurters (about 7″ long)
1 baguette, about 21″ long
- Mix cheese & herbs.
- Cook frankfurters as desired (broil, grill, boil). Cut each almost in half lengthwise.
- Cut baguette into 3 pieces. Cut each piece almost in half lengthwise.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese mixture into the sliced baguette.
- Top with frankfurters, opening out flat.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet and heat in 375℉ oven until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.