I found this recipe and Cheesy Herbed Frankfurters in a magazine in the late 1970s, but neither recipe says where I got them.
¼ cup butter
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
⅛ tsp dried basil
⅛ tsp dried thyme
⅛ tsp dried rosemary
⅛ tsp dried tarragon
¼ cup sour cream
3 large frankfurters (about 7″ long)
1 baguette, about 21″ long
- Melt butter in a large skillet over low heat.
- Add onions, garlic and herbs. Cover and cook, stirring often, for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are limp and golden, about for minutes.
- Blend in sour cream until heated through.
- Cook frankfurters as desired (broil, grill, boil).
- Cut baguette into 3 pieces. Cut each piece almost in half lengthwise. Toast lightly.
- Place frankfurters in baguettes and top with creamy onion mixture.
- You can substitute yogurt for the sour cream.