I got this recipe from a recipe exchange that I belonged to in the late 2000s, but unfortunately I did not make a note of who submitted the recipe. If you know where this recipe came from, please let me know.
2 Tbsp water
1 lb Italian sausage
1 onion, dices
4 cloves garlic, minced
15 oz can diced tomatoes
4 oz green chile, chopped
2 cups water
8 oz uncooked pasta (shells, rotini, penne, etc.)
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 Tbsp dried thyme
½ tsp nutmeg
1 cup sour cream
- Heat 2 Tbsp water in a large skillet or Dutch oven.
- Add sausage, cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove cover and let water evaporate, browning sausage lightly. Drain off fat.
- Add onion & garlic and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Add tomatoes, chiles and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and spices. Return to a boil, turn heat to low.
- Cover and cook until pasta is al dente. Mixture should be loose, but not too soupy.
- Turn off heat and stir in sour cream.
- I prefer “petite diced” tomatoes which are cut into appx ½” pieces. You could also use fresh or frozen tomatoes.
- You can substitute 2 – 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with chilies for the canned tomatoes and the chiles.
- You can substitute yogurt for the sour cream.