from my daughter, Marissa Davis Hefner
2 cups dried split green peas, rinsed
2 cups chopped carrots (not necessary to peel them)
2 cups chopped celery (don’t forget the leaves)
1 head cauliflower, chopped
- Add all ingredients in a large pot, pour over enough water or broth to cover by 1″. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook until peas are tender, about an hour. As long as you cook on low with a lid, it is difficult to overcook this.
- When peas are tender, the soup will be a bit chunky – you can blend with an immersion blender or regular blender to a consistency of your liking.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder – or any other seasoning you like.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sliced green onions, chopped ham or bacon… it’s very versatile.
- You can substitute 16 oz frozen cauliflower.
- You can also pour everything in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- I like to add a bay leaf, dried thyme (1+ tsp), and a pinch of cayenne while cooking – these are the seasonings used at Pea Soup Andersen’s.
- I don’t usually salt & pepper while cooking – some folks don’t want salt & my daughter Alycia does not like pepper. I like smoked salt & fresh-ground pepper on mine.
- If the soup is too thick, add water or broth.