adapted from “Coconut Shrimp with Garlic” in Better Homes and Gardens’ “Fast & Simple Stir-Fry”
When I tasted this recipe it reminded me of the flavors in the Green Curry at my favorite Thai restaurant, so I added green curry paste and oh, my!
1 lb shrimp
3/4 cup coconut milk
2 Tbsp fish sauce or 1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
1-2 tsp green curry paste, to taste
4 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz asparagus, cut in 1″ pieces
2 Tbsp cilantro or parsley, optional
- Mix coconut milk, fish or soy sauce, pepper & curry paste. Set aside.
- Pour oil into skillet or wok to coat lightly. Preheat over med-high heat.
- Add asparagus, stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic, stir-fry for 15 seconds. Remove vegetables from pan.
- Add half the shrimp to the pan. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until opaque. Remove from pan, repeat with remaining shrimp. Return all shrimp to pan.
- Stir coconut milk mixture & pour over shrimp. Cook & stir until bubbly.
- Return vegetables to pan. Cook & stir for about 1 minute or until heated through.
- Serve with rice. Cilantro can be stirred into the rice if desired.
- Start with a small amount of green curry paste, you can add more after tasting the sauce.
- You can substitute sliced chicken breast for the shrimp.
- You can substitute other vegetables. My favorite is snow pea pods, but frozen Asian vegetable mixes work well, also.