adapted from Spice Goddess / Bal Arneson
1 cup chickpea flour
3 Tbsp plain yogurt
1 Tbsp garam masala
1 tsp cardamom seeds, crushed
1 medium onion, cut in quarters & thinly sliced
1 medium zucchini, grated (about 3 cups)
a pinch of salt
- Combine chickpea flour, yogurt, garam masala, cardamom seeds, onions, zucchini and salt into a large bowl and mix well.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drop appx 2 Tbsp mixture into oil, press slightly to flatten and fry until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Add more oil to skillet as needed.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot.
- To avoid using a lot of oil to deep-fry, I made this into “pancakes” rather than fritters.
- I did not use the green onions or pomegranate seeds listed in the original recipe.
- I prefer the spice seeds to be crushed to spread the flavor thru the dish a little more. If you prefer, you can leave them whole as Bal Arneson does.
- The flavor may vary a little depending on the garam masala mix being used.
- You can substitute all purpose or whole wheat flour for the chickpea flour, but the texture will not be as crunchy.