My mother gave me this recipe that a friend of hers had shared. I changed their recipe a little because I think the ranch dressing mix that they added made it too salty. Also, they said to drain all of the canned beans & vegetables, then add water – this seemed ridiculous to me, so I don’t do it.
1 lb ground beef, cooked
15 oz can corn, undrained
2 – 15 oz cans pinto beans, undrained
15 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
4 oz green chiles, chopped
1 pkg taco seasoning
Cheddar or Jack cheese, grated
sour cream or plain yogurt
- Dump all ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until heated through.
- Serve topped with grated cheese and sour cream or yogurt.
- I keep containers of precooked ground beef in my freezer. I use it still frozen – it will be ready by the time everything is heats. If you don’t have this, you can cook the meat in the saucepan before adding everything else.
- I prefer “petite diced” tomatoes which are cut into appx ½” pieces. You could also use fresh or frozen tomatoes.